Confession: I Hate The Seven Nation Army Cheer at OPACY

Trace21230

So, my anger at the Seven Nation Army cheer has been simmering ever since it first appeared at OPACY in 2012. If it was there before then, I don't remember it. It certainly wasn't present in what I'll call the lean years in the 2000s.

Here are my issues:

#1 - I view this as a Ravens cheers and a Maryland Terps cheer. It seems that the cheer only surfaced at OPACY was in 2012, when the bandwagon fans who weren't in the stand the prior 14 years decided to include the Orioles back into their sports lives.

#2 - The chant is often started at what seem to me to be inappropriate times. Specifically, the chant often comes before we have delivered the proverbial "dagger." I am not a believer in the "jinx," but I also view this cheer as a definitive "We Have Destroyed You" cheer, so why are people doing it before the real damage has been done?

My irritation at hearing this cheer at OPACY is rivaled only by my dislike of the wave and small children in attendance. ;)

Am I the only one who despises the Seven Nation Army cheer?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, my anger at the Seven Nation Army cheer has been simmering ever since it first appeared at OPACY in 2012. If it was there before then, I don't remember it. It certainly wasn't present in what I'll call the lean years in the 2000s.

Here are my issues:

#1 - I view this as a Ravens cheers and a Maryland Terps cheer. It seems that the cheer only surfaced at OPACY was in 2012, when the bandwagon fans who weren't in the stand the prior 14 years decided to include the Orioles back into their sports lives.

#2 - The chant is often started at what seem to me to be inappropriate times. Specifically, the chant often comes before we have delivered the proverbial "dagger." I am not a believer in the "jinx," but I also view this cheer as a definitive "We Have Destroyed You" cheer, so why are people doing it before the real damage has been done?

My irritation at hearing this cheer at OPACY is rivaled only by my dislike of the wave and small children in attendance. ;)

Am I the only one who despises the Seven Nation Army cheer?

It's over done, but I wouldn't say I hate it (despite my hatred for the Ravens and Terps).

Here are my issues:

Seven Nations Army is a sports replacement for Rock and Roll Part 2.

It does not belong to the Ravens or the Orioles.

They do it in "Happy Valley" and in Winnipeg.

Yeah I hate it too. It's also a big soccer cheer too in a lot of different countries, so it feels generic and unoriginal to me. "We couldn't come up with a cheer, so I guess we'll just use this one." It's the exact opposite of the Orioles Magic song or the Wild Bill Hagy cheers, which, cheesy or not, are steeped in Orioles history.

It's over done, but I wouldn't say I hate it (despite my hatred for the Ravens and Terps).

I am a Packer fan and a Terp so I don't hate either one.

I have not liked the way some Ravens fans have treated the Orioles and their fans as the red-headed stepchild of Baltimore over the past fifteen years.

Things are a little different now, though. The Orioles have "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, are fielding a competitive team for a sustained period of time, and are actually the talk of the town in my opinion. The Ravens on the other hand only seem to be in the news when someone gets arrested.

I am a Packer fan and a Terp so I don't hate either one.

I have not liked the way some Ravens fans have treated the Orioles and their fans as the red-headed stepchild of Baltimore over the past fifteen years.

Things are a little different now, though. The Orioles have "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, are fielding a competitive team for a sustained period of time, and are actually the talk of the town in my opinion. The Ravens on the other hand only seem to be in the news when someone gets arrested.

It's not the Ravens. It's the NFL in general. They have some bad actors. The Ravens?

Well, if they make the playoffs this season, the Ravens will be relevant. What can I say, I'm an Orioles fan first last and always.

I feel like it fits, i could be completely wrong but dosnt the "O" hymn work more for us over the Ravens/Terps considering we're actually The O's??

I do agree with the OP's point #2. We should be using a chant to hype up our offense for a rally, not after the damage has been done.

Has anyone every asked a player their perspective? Id imagine being pretty pumped up if the fans were chanting it prior to my AB.

No one taught them baseball as a child. Soccer hooliganism is as close as they got.

In general I agree that the song is overplayed and I think it is ridiculous that Ravens fans claim it as our song when it is played across the country. That said, it repeats "O" a bunch of time so it kinda fits for the Orioles. :scratchchinhmm:

No one taught them baseball as a child. Soccer hooliganism is as close as they got.

In this country, some would consider that child abuse.

Archived